Hong Kong Wok: Review

As a huge lover of Chinese food, I am forever fighting the temptation to eat it on a daily basis. I discovered Hong Kong Wok through Trip Advisor the first time I visited Sheffield for a university open day back in 2011 and I have been going back ever since! After hearing from several friends how good the lunch time deal was, myself and Adam decided to go and treat ourselves one rainy day and I thought it was about time I reviewed it as it really is a hidden gem. 



The interior of the restaurant is warm and inviting and we were able to choose where we sat as it was fairly quiet. We opted for a table next to the window which was the perfect spot for a bit of people-watching whilst we waited. As soon as we were seated we were brought a complimentary basket of Prawn Crackers which were some of the best I have ever tasted. They were full of flavour and were nice and thick giving a really good crunch to them - there is nothing worse than a soggy, chewy prawn cracker!


We were then faced with the tough decision of choosing what to order. They offer a special lunchtime deal consisting of a list of about 10 dishes, all served with rice or noodles for £4.99. This is really good value for money, although to get the deal you do have to pay by cash which is slightly annoying if you don't have any on you like we did, but luckily there are two cash points within a minutes walk. 

We were feeling particularly greedy so we decided to get a starter to share before our main dishes. We chose the Spare Ribs in Peking Sauce (£6.10) which we both agreed were delicious. The Peking sauce was really fruity but not overpoweringly sweet. The ribs themselves had a crispy coating on them and were meaty without being fatty. There were 6 ribs in one portion which I thought was reasonable for a starter and made it perfect for sharing. I did think £6 was quite steep for a starter, however the portion size and quality of the food justified this.


The ribs left us very excited for our main course and our meals were ready just minutes after our starter had been cleared away. Our only complaint would be that we would have appreciated some hand wipes as the Peking sauce from the ribs left us with very sticky hands. 

In the end, I ordered the Crispy Shredded Chicken with Chilli and Chilli Rice, and Adam ordered the Sizzling Beef in Black Pepper Sauce with Rice (both £4.99). When we were ordering we were asked if we wanted boiled rice or fried rice, however we were told that fried rice would be an extra £1 which we thought was a bit steep so we stuck with good old boiled. The food arrived in really generous portions, especially for a lunchtime meal. 



My Crispy Shredded Chicken was really good with just the right amount of spice and a sauce that was full of flavour. The chicken was really crispy although I do prefer my strips a little bit thicker with a bit more meat in them, but that's just down to personal preference. I was also pleased to see that there wasn't too much onion in my dish as on previous visits I have had to pick it out because there was just so much of it. 



The rice was nothing to shout about but boiled rice is boiled rice at the end of the day, although I am not sure what happened to the Chilli Rice described on the menu but I decided to forgive them as I think I may have confused the waiter when ordering (his English wasn't great). Despite this, I still really enjoyed my chilli chicken and it is definitely one of the best I have ever had!

Adam’s Sizzling Beef in Black Pepper was equally impressive. I’ve never tried a black pepper sauce before but I’m definitely a fan now! It had a really nice peppery kick to it and there was plenty of beef too as well as a mix of peppers and onions too. 


As always I really enjoyed my meal at Hong Kong Wok and I think I've converted Adam too! I would definitely recommend the lunch menu if you're after high quality Chinese food, and for under a fiver you can't really go wrong! Hong Kong Wok is also a great place to go for an evening meal, and while the prices may be higher than your local takeaway, the quality of the food and the portion sizes make it 100% justified. I would definitely recommend giving it a try…

Hong Kong Wok
200-204 London Road
Sheffield
S2 4LW
website: http://www.newhkwok.co.uk



Comments

Popular Posts