NutriBullet: Review and recipes

Now unless you've been living in a cave for the last year, you've probably heard of the NutriBullet. 

It's a blender that claims to be so powerful it can break down the stems, skins and seeds of fruit and vegetables in order to extract all of their valuable nutritional goodness. It has been hugely hyped and raved about all over the internet, but is it as good as everyone says?

I'd had my eyes on the NutriBullet for about a year before actually biting the bullet (excuse the pun) and buying one. I was initially put off by it's price (it retails for £99.99), but I was also cautious to see whether it was actually as good as everyone says or whether it's just another fad health product, soon to be chewed up and spat out by the blogosphere.

I was lucky enough to get mine second hand on eBay for £53 - a fraction of its retail price. Despite being second hand it's still in great condition with only a few minor scuffs and marks on the cups, and most importantly, in full working order. 


The NutriBullet comes with two blades, one for extracting (blending) and one for milling, that you attach onto the cup in the form of a lid. This is then pushed down onto the base to blend or mill the contents of the cup. 

Since buying the NutriBullet I've had lots of fun concocting what the user guide refers to as 'NutriBlasts' - smoothies to you and I. Here are a few of my first experimental recipes, and my thoughts on the results. 

         
Smoothie 1: Frozen berries, gala apple, broccoli, water
Rating: Not great. 
The gala apple added a weird floury texture and the taste of the broccoli was quite strong. Using water diluted the fruity flavours too much. 



Smoothie 2: Frozen berries, banana, broccoli, milk with added granola on the top!
Rating: Yum! 
Lovely and thick. Great eaten out of the cup with a spoon with a sprinkle of granola on the top!



Smoothie 3: Frozen berries, broccoli, spinach, banana, ground almonds, almond milk
Rating: Yum! Another really tasty combination. The ground almonds are great to get in a bit of extra protein and give a bit of extra nutty-ness.


Smoothie 4: Raspberries, banana, spinach, oats, almond milk
Rating: Tasty. 
A little sharp initially. Adding oats makes it really good for breakfast as they provide you with protein and slow releasing energy.


Smoothie 5: Raspberries, banana, cucumber, almond milk
Rating: Average. 
Nothing special but still pleasant nonetheless. The cucumber added a refreshing edge.

So what do I think?
The NutriBullet has really impressed me. I was initially a little sceptical as to whether it would live up to the hype but I've honestly found it to be just as good as everyone says. It breaks down seeds in berries and gets through apple and mango skin no problem. It's definitely encouraged me to get more fruit and vegetables into my diet and smoothies are becoming my go-to breakfast when I don't have time to make an omelette. I'm not sure if I would be prepared to pay the full price for the NutriBullet as I do think it's quite hefty for a blender; however I would advise anyone who might be considering buying a NutriBullet to look on eBay as there are loads for around the £60 mark which is much more reasonable. 

To find out more about the NutriBullet click here: https://www.nutribullet.com

Thanks for reading!


Comments

Popular Posts