The Milestone: Review

(Photo courtesy of The Milestone Facebook page)
Situated in the up and coming area of Kelham Island, The Milestone is a bit of a hidden gem. The gastro pub is nestled amongst new builds and old industry in a modest white and green building just round the corner from the very exciting Little Kelham development. The interior is comfortable and intimate, not too formal but somehow oozing class at the same time. This was my second visit to The Milestone - the first of which having been for my birthday last year and I utterly fell in love with the place. Everything, even down to the service, was exceptional. What makes them even better is that their menu changes to reflect what local seasonal produce is available - its good to know that everything on your plate has been responsibly sourced.

I visited on a Friday evening and the day before Valentines day and was pleasantly surprised to be offered the Early Bird menu, despite the deal finishing just minutes later at 7pm. The Early Bird deal gets you 3 courses and a glass of house wine or pint of local ale for £16.50 - amazing value! The menu was larger than expected for a set menu giving 5 varied choices of starters and main courses, as well as 4 choices of desserts. I opted for the soup to start - it was potato and wild celery (although I was under the impression it was potato and leek until I checked back with the menu). I'm certain the server had told me potato and leek but I enjoyed it regardless. It was rich and creamy but not too heavy, and accompanied by a slice of freshly baked bread from their sister company Fancie's bakery and what can only be described as a very well-presented knob of butter! My only complaint was that I didn't like the seeds that came in the soup (I think they were seeds, although in all honesty I'm not sure).

Potato and wild celery soup

The soup set me up perfectly for my main course. I chose the pan fried beef skirt steak (this did incur a £2 supplement but it was worth every extra penny). I'm salivating even thinking about it now - it was to die for! I have never tried beef skirt before but this was cooked to perfection (medium rare) in a simple jus that let the steak do the talking. One of the things I really love about The Milestone is their use of simple flavours to complement the great quality ingredients without overpowering them. The chips were lacking slightly in portion size but they were cooked and seasoned well and tasted amazing dipped in the marrowbone which was rich and creamy - a perfect accompaniment. 


Pan fried beef skirt steak, chunky chips and marrowbone

Now at this stage, I was pleasantly full and found myself weighing up whether I really needed a pudding - of course the answer was yes because I know I would regret any decision to go without instantly. Adam and I were spoiled for choice so decided to go for the sticky toffee pudding and the milk chocolate brownie and then split the two to share. They were beautifully presented and I thought the portion sizes were spot on - plentiful but not sickness inducing. I really liked the combination of the berry compote with the chocolate brownie - it added a freshness to it which worked really well.

Sticky toffee pudding, sticky toffee sauce and vanilla ice cream

Milk chocolate brownie, served with vanilla ice cream and a compote of Local hedgerow berries

The Milestone really delivered in terms of serving high quality, exciting dishes and (with the Early Bird menu) at very reasonable prices. Their success seems to be spreading too as this little gem has expanded into a small family of Sheffield eateries, the most recent of which being Craft and Dough -also located in Kelham Island. I'm keen to see how they've incorporated their passion for high quality, locally source food into a more informal pizza dining experience. It's definitely a priority on my list of places to try!

One very satisfied customer!

The Milestone
84 Green Lane,
Sheffield,
S3 8SE
website: http://www.the-milestone.co.uk





Comments

Popular Posts